WARNING! Your Internet activity can be tracked. If the person who is harming you has access to your computer, please consider using a more secure computer and delete your internet browser history.



color bar

If I report information about sexual misconduct with a faculty, staff, advisor, will they have to share this with someone?

  • YES -- they are not confidential resource. Information about confidential resources can be found here LINK. If you report to a university employee (staff, faculty, ISU PD, etc.) who are not confidential resoure, they will have to share whatever information you share with them (names, details, location, etc.)
  • You will likely be contacted by the Office of Equal Opportunity (which is the Office of the Title IX Coordinator) regarding the right to file a complaint and be informed about resources and assistance available for you. You DO NOT have to participate in any process; it is completely your decision.

What options do I have for reporting sexual misconduct?

What if I report and then decide that I don't want to continue any further with an investigation or process?

You can discontinue your engagement and involvement at any point with the criminal or university process. This may mean that the process cannot continue; but it some cases the process will continue without your involvement.

What if I'm an employee at the university and I have become aware of an incident of sexual misconduct?

See the Responsible Employee PDF here.

What are the benefits of reporting a sexual assault to the police?

  • Contacting the ISU Police oes not mean you must pursue charges. ISU Police can advise you of your options and can also preserve evidence while you consider your options. ISU Police can also advise you on safety planning techniques.
  • For emergencies, contact 911. For non-emergencies students are encouraged to contact ISU Police by telephone at 515-294-4428 or in person at room 55, Armory Building. Or, contact the Ames Police Department by telephone at 515-239-5133 or in person at 515 Clark Avenue.

Are there cultural-specific resources available for someone who has experienced gender violence?

Iowa, through the office of the Crime Victims Assistance Division, recognizes how culture, language, race, trauma, and healing can intersect with victimization. Information on Iowa cultural specific programs can be found here.

Should I report a sexual assault if I was drinking underage while it occured? While I was using controlled substances?

Students are strongly encouraged to report incidents of, or share information about, sexual misconduct as soon as possible. This is true even if the student with a complaint or a witness may have concern that their own alcohol or drug use, or other prohibited activity were involved. The Office of Student Conduct will not pursue disciplinary violations against a student with a complaint or a witness for their improper use of alcohol or drugs if the student is making a good faith report of sexual misconduct.

I reported an incident of sexual misconduct involving a student and want them to be removed from university housing / class / an organization / the university (etc.) Can this occur?

  • The student disciplinary process requires due process, which means without an investigation, hearing, and disciplinary finding, the university is unable to sanction a student. If there is sufficient information beyond an allegation (complaint and affidavit of arrest, corroborating information, etc.) which establishes probable cause, and indicates there is a significant danger to safety or property, the university may be able to implement an interim measure prior to the final adjudication of a case.
  • Outside of this, the Title IX Coordinator may be able to establish some interim remedial and supportive measures (related to employment, courses, etc.). Other supportive measures and accommodations can be discussed with the Title IX Coordinator, the Office of Student Assistance, or Student Accessibility Services.

Does it make a diference if the sexual misconduct occurs on or off campus?

No. According to the university Student Disciplinary Regulations, sections 4.1.2 and 4.1.3, the sexual misconduct, sexual assault, and sexual harassment policy covers both on-campus and off-campus conduct. If the sexual misconduct involved a non-student, the university will be limited in its ability to respond, but is still able to provide support and resources to the individual reporting.

Who determines how student disciplinary charges for sexual misconduct are resolved?

In Title IX cases that cannot be resolved through an informal process (through the Title IX Coordinator) or an Agreed Resolution process (if the complainant and/or respondent cannot agree on an outcome), a Student Conduct Hearing Board will review the investigation materials, ask questions, and hold a hearing which might include statements from both parties. The hearing board deliberates on responsibility and sanctions, if applicable. These are sent to the Dean of Students as a recommendation, and the Dean of Students sends a decision letter to the parties with the final decision.

Why should I seek medical attention when I haven't decided whether I want to report the assault to the police or the university?

  • Seeking medical attention can help you in many ways. First, seeking medical attention can help you take care of your own health by checking for injuries, treating those injuries, and addressing the possibility of sexually transmitted infections.
  • Second, a forensic medical exam can preserve evidence of the assault. This is important even if you are currently undecided about your next steps because you may later decide to pursue criminal charges or university disciplinary charges - that evidence can help in both situations. A medical exam is not, however, required before pursuing criminal or university disciplinary charges.
  • In Iowa, initial medical exams are free for a person who has been sexually assaulted.

What are my rights in this process?

Whether you are a complainant or respondent, your rights are highlighted in the Student Disciplinary Regulations here.

If I decided to drop or pursue criminal charges, does this impact the case at the university?

It may to some extent, but the university still has an obligation to review any information we have, investigate if deemed appropriate, and provide a response to address any violations of university policy that have been identified.


More FAQ’s pertaining to the Office of Student Conduct for students, parents/family members, advisors, and student organizations can be found here.